Job Title: Lead Structural Designer
Working with the design team, the Lead Designer shapes the project and aids in the creation of the schedule, resource allocation and time assignments. The Lead Designer is responsible for ensuring that designs meet client requirements including gathering specific information within the project cycle and designing solutions, and as required creating and checking design deliverables. Responsible for the learning and development of the design team.
• Office based, Sitting, Computer use, Offshore visits, take flights/travel to other locations
• Represent PD&MS with Clients, Suppliers / Vendors and Certifying Authorities in a professional manner.
• Supervision of personnel under the Lead Designer’s control, and for the quality of work produced by them.
• Assurance of competence of design personnel under the Lead Designer’s control. Identification of personnel shortfalls and submission of proposal to the Project Delivery Manager for solutions such as training, coaching or replacement.
• Identification of design scope of work required to undertake a project/job. Estimation of deliverables, manpower and time required to execute the scope of work.
• Input to project plans and schedules via the Lead Engineer.
• Early identification to the Lead Engineer / Design Team Leader of areas of concern during the course of any project or study with necessary corrective action identified.
• Liaison with the Project Delivery Manager to identify areas for development and to implement improvements in working practices.
• Ensure operational and maintenance issues are addressed in the design. Seeking input from operations and maintenance personnel.
• Surveys, both onshore and offshore, to determine information to allow execution of workscopes.
• Monitoring progress of work under the Lead Designer’s control and achieving completion within the agreed schedule and budget.
• Forward planning of resources and timely identification of changes to resource requirements to the Lead Engineer / Project Delivery Manager.
• Checking of department design deliverables and when necessary producing design deliverables.
• Identification of increase or reduction in scope of work and advising the Lead Engineer / Project Engineer accordingly.
• Ensuring Designers under the Lead Designers control follow procedures for document control and use and retention of check prints / IDC comments prints.
• Responsible for ensuring that all supervised personnel are aware of continuous improvement issues and new technology.
• Remain up to date and knowledgeable with technical developments, client, national and international standards and legislative requirements related to the position.
• During surveys/site visits communication with Operations and Maintenance personnel to ensure all requirements are fulfilled and determine any opportunities where PD&MS can provide engineering solutions to existing problems or for improving existing methods.
• Production of cost effective design solutions that are fit for purpose, safe and add value to both PD&MS and the Client. Motivation of discipline personnel to do similarly.
• Awareness and understanding of the business drivers within the PD&MS / Client relationship and how these can be influenced by innovative designs and minimum cost solutions.
• Performance of engineering tasks and activities, in accordance with PD&MS QA, HS & E Policies.
• Ensuring compliance with applicable Industry Codes and Standards, HSE Alerts, Statutory Instruments, Client Specifications and Legislative Requirements and establishing order of precedence on a project-by-project basis.
• Demonstration of safe approach in design and working practises.
• Encouragement of attention to safety in personnel under the Lead Designer control. Performance of ‘on the job training’ and input to discipline specific learning materials
• Coaching and mentoring of design team members to increase general engineering competence, and drilling specific design knowledge.
• Responsible for ensuring professional development is maintained and identified competency requirements are undertaken in a timely manner.
• Adherence to the Company Integrated Management System.
• Compliance with quality assurance, health and safety and environmental policies.
• Demonstrate and promote PD&MS QHSE principles and lead by example. Ensure unsafe activities are challenged.
• Adherence to the requirements of the best practice standards recommendations and processes in the undertaking of duties, in particular, risk assessment and control, reliability and failure prevention necessary to ensure the safe design, equipment and systems.
• Demonstrate and promote PD&MS values and lead by example.
• Raise issues of quality, health, safety and environmental and input to continuous quality improvement element.
• Authorised to sign engineering deliverables as being design checked.
Skills & Attributes
• Leadership and development of people
• Team management and team working
• Customer and quality focused
• Professional conduct
• Excellent communication, influencing and inter-personal skills
• Ability to use own initiative
• Good organisational skills
• Commercial awareness
• Responsive to business and client needs
• Safety aware
Interested candidates shall e-mail their CVs’ to [email protected] with name of position in e-mail’s title.